Cranberry Nutrition Bars - Important Cranberry Health Benefits
Cranberries are most often thought of as a “Thanksgiving” fruit, constituting a liberal portion of many celebratory specialties such as meat stuffing, sauces, salads, puddings, and cakes. They can also be found in cranberry nutrition bars.
But this small and unassuming berry has many power-packed nutritional benefits that make it a good option to include as part of your nutrition on a regular basis. Here are some of the many exciting cranberry health benefits that are available and some tips on how to incorporate cranberries into your diet:
Prevention of Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Cancer
According to the United States Department of Agriculture, two glasses of cranberry juice can be a powerful deterrent against the risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The benefits are mostly on account of the presence of compounds called “polyphenols”.
Polyphenols have been proven to stabilize blood sugar and insulin resistance, thereby reducing the levels of fat and inflammation in the body. Polyphenols also exhibit antioxidant properties that protect DNA from free radicals that cause cell damage, thereby reducing tumorous cell growth.
Beautiful Skin, Hair, and Nails
Cranberries have a whole host of benefits for skin, hair, and nails. When used as part of natural, home-made masks and scrubs, cranberries aid against the formation of lines and wrinkles and promote skin lightening and brightening.
The antioxidants and vitamins that are present in cranberries work extensively to prevent cell damage caused by the environment and free radicals, therefore, preserving the quality of the skin longer.
Cranberries are highly effective in controlling dandruff because of their antifungal properties and they are also helpful in promoting hair growth. Application of cranberry juice is a natural and safe alternative to chemical hair color treatments.
Prevention of Urinary Tract Infections
Cranberries have been proven to be especially beneficial in the fight against UTIs. While consensus hasn’t been reached yet on how and to what extent cranberries are beneficial in this regard, some studies have shown that women who consume cranberry juice on a regular basis have a lowered risk of Urinary Tract Infections.
Other studies have shown that cranberries have specific compounds that prevent harmful bacteria such as E.coli from being able to stick to the walls of the urinary tract for any length of time.
Different Ways to Leverage Cranberry Health Benefits in Your Diet
Cranberry has a sour and bitter taste which can make it challenging, but not entirely impossible, to make use of as part of your daily food habits. Here are some tips:
1. Drink as freshly crushed juice. Add flavorings in the form of honey, spices, fruits, and nuts, to modify the taste and texture according to your preference.
2. Sprinkle liberally into your salads or use cranberry juice to create an interesting twist to your traditional salad dressing.
3. Get inspired by rice dishes such as the Persian Shirin Polo, which is a traditional sweet favorite made with cranberries.
4. Add cranberries to meat-based dishes to spruce up old standards.
5. Mix cranberries with a small pot of organic curd or add into your oatmeal or muesli to get your daily nutritional fix.
6. Also leverage cranberry health benefits by incorporating into wines, squashes, jams, and preserves.
7. PureFit offers a delicious natural tasting Cranberry Nutrition Bar that also includes raspberries and almonds.